Monday 30 July 2012

"If I can do it, you can do it too"

I have had relaxed hair for as long as I can remember and I know growing up my hair was definitely not amazing, one of my earliest bad hair memories was in primary school..

I had a friend who had extremely long shiny hair (can't remember if it was relaxed) and everyday I used to eye her Locks, so after beefing for like forever, I decided that I too wanted shiny hair. So when I got back from school that day I took a bottle of baby oil and literally dumped the whole thing in my hair, the results weren't pretty not only was my hair an "un-shiny" mess but my mother showed me how unhappy she was with my experiment when she came home...

READ MORE
9year old Kehinde in red
I have many more horror stories about my hair, don't even get me started on my QC days or getting my hair relaxed when I was younger, sigh I thought there was no hope for me. The one good thing though, was that I had a lot of it, which at the time I thought was a curse, cause it was just more ugliness to look at and deal with, however if we fast forward to almost 2 decades after, we will come to present day.

My inspiration for caring for my own hair ironically stemmed from my quest to find the most natural looking curly weave, my research directed me to Halley's curls creole curly (I loved the hair btw) and so many hair blogs and forums and lots of information on caring for your weave and your hair, info I hope to share with you!

Eventually I came to the realisation that my hair could grow and do other things even though I am a full blooded Yoruba babe (well with some Ghanaian in me and maybe somewhere down the line a little Brazilian, who knows). Although I don't know it all, I am seeing progress in my hair and am learning more as I go.

So yes Lil Wayne can rap about Nigerian hair being tough, but surely its only when your hair is tough yet soft and flexible that you retain the length and achieve healthy hair.....


19+ Kehinde

2 comments:

  1. Congratz to you for sticking it out on your journey! :) beautiful hair btw!

    http://nappturallynessa101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Vanessa, your hair is luscious as well!

      Delete