Sunday 12 August 2012

"A Few Of My Favourite Things"

Hey y'all

If you have recently started looking into improving your hair's health and you are wondering what products you should get, this post might be helpful. Although it is possible that the products that work for my hair might not work for yours, these pointers should be somewhat beneficial.

 So before I begin with the list here is a quick warning, I have probably mentioned this before but it is very easy to become a product junkie, yes it's good to experiment however when you find out what works, stick with it! You want to avoid jumping on every product's hype. Also when you begin to look for products it is a good idea to break it down into your regimen categories.

So below is a list of my favourites;

READ MORE

Oils

I mostly use my Oils to seal after I moisturise, as an addition to my Deep Conditioner and when I am styling. Without the health hair benefits, these oils make my hair look pretty and by that I mean shiny.

  • Castor Oil
  • Extra Virgin/ Organ Coconut Oil
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Castor oil and EVCO  are better suited for you, if your hair is thick as they are somewhat heavy. When choosing oils try to acquire oils that are in their purest natural form.



Conditioners

Because I use a lot of conditioner (from using it in my deep conditioners, to washing my hair and sometimes using a little as my leave-in) I don't spend a fortune on it and I usually stock up when my favourites go on sale.

  • VO5 "Give me Moisture"
  • Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends (UK)/ Long-term relationship (US)
  • Suave Professionals Humectant (US)
A lot of affordable conditioners out there are good so don't feel pressured into spend big money on this. Go for something that is very creamy and smells great


Shampoos

Like I mentioned before, you will need 2 types of shampoos, 1 shampoo for clarifying and a mosturising shampoo. Make sure that your moisturising shampoos are sulphate-free

  • Nexxus therappe luxurious moisturizing shampoo 
  • Organix - Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil
  • (Clarifying Shampoo) Organic root stimulator creamy aloe shampoo


Protein Treatments

With my protein treatments, I use products that will restore my hair's protein

  • Aphogee 2 step (Hard Protein)
  • Mix of Olive oil and Eggs 
  • Hair Mayonnaise 
  • Cantu- Shea butter (leave-in)


Leave-In Conditioners

My moisturising leave-in conditioners sometimes serve as my daily moisturiser, I just alternate the amount based on the function. With daily moisturisers, I look for products that are water based (if aqua is the 1st ingredient)

  • Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends/ Long Term Relationship
  • Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Lotion
  • Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In Cream
Deep- Conditioners

Like I posted last week I mix my own DC, however if you prefer a store bought alternative here are some great choices.

  • KeraCare Humecto
  • Lustrasilk Shea Butter& Mango Cholesterol
  • Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends Intensive Mask

Over time I will be doing more in-depth reviews on different products but just thought I'd share this list in the mean time. This list only serves as a guideline, through knowing your hair and researching you will be able to find your own staples.


OAN: I will be dyeing my hair this week with Lush Henna Caca Noir and I am excited to see the outcome and to experience what other benefits this henna treatment can provide apart from the obvious darkening, so stay tuned for a post on that 


No comments:

Post a Comment